Tuesday 23 April 2019

Chennai - Foodie journal

I had a very beautiful and welcoming image of Chennai until I started living in Chennai. All the dreamy summer vacation days I spent there eating mangoes and yummy bakshanams (snacks). All the weddings and getogethers I would attend to play with my cousins. I think you can relate to the picture I am trying to paint here. But the real nightmare started when I moved to Chennai from Mumbai for work. If you have been to Chennai, you would know that it is not a welcoming place. People there actually have the attitude of a New Yorker that surprised me when i landed there.


Starting with hunt for decent riskshaw wallas and beauty parlors my struggles started and although i started with a hate relationship I must say that the place did show me why i should like it. From the beautiful beaches starting from Marina to Adyar and Tiruvanmayur, yummy eat outs for a dosa lover, and ofcourse the easily accessible filter coffee, I did end up making Chennai my home for some time.

I spent a good three years in Chennai and as much expected I did fall in love with the food options. One of the first place I fell in love with is Mylai Karpagambal Mess near Kapaleeshwar temple in Mylapore. Apart from awesome dosas, their specialities are Ghee Rava khichadi, Keerai vadai (spinach vada) and Vazhaipoo vadai (banana flower vada). So if you plan to visit Kapaleeshawar temple, do make some time to come here and enjoy some nice vadais and coffee.

Sanjeevanam
Sanjeevanam is an Indian ayurveda based restaurant with meals based on naturopathy principles. While visiting here, the mostly opted meal is Rajakeeyam. Its an 8 course vegetarian meal with fruit starters in the beginning to Beeda made out of fruits and veggies! I loved the beeda :).  This is a must visit place even for a day trip to Chennai.

Adyar Anand Bhavan
AAB is your go to south Indian eatery where you will be satisfied with anything you order because they offer quality food. This is your go to option if you don’t know where to eat.

Eden Gardens
If you did not know that Chennai is the vegetarian capital of India then this restaurant will give you an idea of why. Eden Gardens offers vegetarian options for continental dishes like Shashlik, steaks, and seekh kababs, with a mild touch of Indian spices. I tried the spaghetti supreme (with mock meat balls here) and i liked it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror comedy

 The sun down motel The squatter Stolen tongues  How to sell a haunted house  Hidden pictures Home after dark