Friday 12 October 2018

Nova Scotia trip

Colorful towns, iconic lighthouse, beautiful skies and most of all amazingly friendly people.  Thats Nova Scotia for me. There is something about this place that's enchanting.

We started at Prince Edward Island driving through the beautiful farms. We visited Anne of the Green Gables museum which was the author's cousin's house. That's where she spent most of her childhood and also got married. My childhood was mostly spent reading Enid Blyton and Agatha Christie. I never know much about Anne of the Green Gables. It seems the author is very famous in Japan and I could see a visible number of Japanese tourists in PEI. So I have decided to read this book when I get some free time.


We stayed at Cape Breton Island to explore the Cabot Trail. The AirBnb where we stayed was hosted by a couple who were from Toronto. They told us about the "come from away" attitude of Nova Scotians which is true. This is about the welcoming attitude of Nova Scotians to the outside world. Nova Scotians are so easy to converse with and  interested to learn about other cultures. the idea I got from my conversations was that people who visited, fell in love with place and never returned back. The view from our bedroom was amazing. We also came to know that Scottish Gaelic is a language different from English and is still used in Nova Scotia.

From there we covered Halifax and had a chance to cook our own lobsters :). The lobsters were surprisingly good and didn't need additional salt. From there we went to whale watching in Digby. We saw some humpback whales passing by. There were times when the whales would pass under under boat which was a little scary but they were mostly calm and friendly.

Before going back, we stayed at a farmhouse in Windsor. This was a 200 year old farm managed by a lady in her sixties. There were 2 horses, 2 dogs, 3 cat and a chicken coop. I got my full experience of living in a farmhouse by feeding the horses, playing with the dogs and chasing the hens :).

In all I don't know if I was more enchanted by the beauty of the land or the people or both I am sure I will come back here. Its true that Canadians are friendly but the most friendly of them live in the Atlantic coast.









3 comments:

  1. I wonder if NS is cold in summer months too? Your article inspires me to visit...even if it's a bit too cold for a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Indian Curry: Thanks for the comment! NS is not cold at all in the summer. We went in September, almost end of summer and the weather was still amazing. You may need a light jacket when you are at the coast. It will be amazing to visit in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ramya, your blog is wonderful. I am a new PR immigrant, planning to land in October this year. I am single male, and would like to know areas and forums, where I can find cheaper accommodation. Also since, October is last Quarter, there will be scarcity of jobs. Any tips to get an entry level job in any domain or even hard jobs. Appreciate your help!!

    ReplyDelete

Horror comedy

 The sun down motel The squatter Stolen tongues  How to sell a haunted house  Hidden pictures Home after dark